Understanding & Addressing Faculty Salary Equity
Achieving salary equity in academic medicine is the right thing to do and the smart thing to do. There are tangible institutional benefits to addressing equity issues — including salary equity — and costs to ignoring them.
Beyond a moral imperative, failing to create equitable environments, of which salary-equity efforts are a part, can hamper institutional success through retention and recruitment costs, as well as through losses in research and clinical productivity.
Creating a plan to achieve salary equity shows a commitment to and can assist institutions in keeping the best and brightest in the academic medicine and science. It should be part of an ongoing strategy to foster a supportive culture for faculty.
The AAMC has developed a set of tools and resources to help your institution get started. There’s no easy or quick solution to address salary equity, but the below information can help you begin your understanding and strategy.
Read the Report
Our report, Promising Practices for Understanding and Addressing Salary Equity at US Medical Schools, is a good starting point for creating a strategy for salary equity.
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 5 hàng tuầnIt includes data on faculty compensation, promotion trends, and perceptions of the work environment, as well as promising practices from 11 medical schools that all institutions can use to begin or refine their own local salary equity efforts.
Access the report here.
Explore the Data
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 5 hàng tuầnThe Faculty Salary Equity Tool (FSET) allows institutions to examine trends in total compensation by gender, rank, degree, department/specialty, and institutional ownership type (e.g. private schools, public schools) across the past five fiscal years.
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 5 hàng tuầnGraphic displays include mean and median comparisons of total compensation by gender in dollar amounts and cents on the dollar comparisons. The tool also includes a flat file of aggregated national data for use in local institutional studies.
Note: Only available to deans and Principal Business Officers (PBOs) with complimentary access to the Faculty Salary Survey report data.Xổ số miền bắc thứ 5 hàng tuần The AAMC encourages deans and PBOs to share this tool with others on campus.
Develop a Strategy
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 5 hàng tuầnNeed help getting started? This toolkit provides a wealth of resources from national data tables to sample school of medicine reports and salary dashboards that can help you begin addressing salary equity at your own institution.
Closing the gender pay gap in medicine
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 5 hàng tuần Leaders in academic medicine are working to address salary inequities. Learn how the report highlights the progress made to date — and the challenges yet to come.
Understanding and Addressing Faculty Salary Equity Webinar
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 5 hàng tuần will present data from the recent faculty salary analysis, explore organizational components of faculty salary equity studies and compensation, and take an in-depth look at effective practices from institutions highlighted in the publication for their efforts to address salary equity.
Please note: Some of the resources listed below are from organizations that require registration, membership, or purchase. We encourage you to collaborate with other leaders at your institution in exploring these resources, particularly those in Finance, Administration, and HR, who may already have institutional memberships to these organizations.
AAMC Faculty Salary Tables by Gender
The data are displayed by total compensation of full-time medical school faculty, broken out by gender, rank, degree, department/specialty, and fiscal year.
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 5 hàng tuầnIndividuals seeking salary benchmarks across all faculty groups (excluding gender breakouts) should refer to the AAMC Faculty Salary Report.
Individuals can purchase a print or digital copy of the AAMC Faculty Salary Report through . Please contact firstname.lastname@example.orgXổ số miền bắc thứ 5 hàng tuần with questions about these tables or the Faculty Salary Report.
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 5 hàng tuầnAs the individuals responsible for providing the survey data, deans, Principal Business Officers, and their designees, have complimentary access to the report and custom report generators containing confidential-school level survey data. Report users can .
Use these charts and infographics from Promising Practices in presentations about salary equity to facilitate understanding of national trends.
- Figure 1: Institutional Gender Equity Framework (PDF)
- Figure 2: USC’s Center for Urban Education (2018) Equity-Mindedness Framework (PDF)
- Figure 3: Full-time faculty by department, rank, and gender at all U.S. medical schools (PDF)
- Figure 4: Seven-year promotions for first-time assistant and associate professors (PDF)
- Figure 5: Workplace engagement and culture (PDF)
- Figure 6: Allocation and perceptions of effort: full-time basic-science faculty (PDF)
- Figure 7: Allocation and perceptions of effort: full-time clinical faculty (PDF)
- Figure 8: Sample representation for FY 2017 faculty salary survey data analysis (PDF)
- Figure 9: 2017 distribution of men’s and women’s median compensation (PDF)
- Figure 10: FY 2017 median compensation by gender and rank (PDF)
- Figure 11: FY 2017 median compensation by gender, rank, and department type (PDF)
- Figure 12: Compensation in cents on the dollar for women by department type and degree (PDF)
- Figure 13: Compensation in cents on the dollar for women by department and specialty (PDF)
- Figure 14: All faculty compensation and cents on the dollar for women by department and specialty (PDF)
- Figure 15: Compensation in cents on the dollar for women by medicine specialties (PDF)
- Figure 16: Compensation in cents on the dollar for women by pediatric specialties (PDF)
- Figure 17: Compensation in cents on the dollar for women by surgical specialties (PDF)
- Figure 18 & 19: Compensation by gender, rank, departments – neurosciences and physiology (PDF)
- Figure 20 & 21: Compensation by gender, rank, departments – surgery and radiology (PDF)
- Figure 22 & 23: Compensation by gender, rank, departments – pediatrics and OBGYN (PDF)
- Figure 24 & Table 2: Median and total compensation by gender, rank, and degree (PDF)
- Figure 25: Compensation in cents on the dollar for women across medical schools (PDF)
- Figure 26: Compensation in cents on the dollar by faculty size across medical schools (PDF)
- Figure 27: Yearly snapshot of compensation in cents on the dollar by department type from 2013-17 (PDF)
- Figure 28 & 29: Yearly snapshot of compensation by gender, rank – instructor & assistant (PDF)
- Figures 30 & 31: Yearly snapshot of compensation by gender, rank – associate & professor (PDF)
- Figure 32 & 33: Yearly snapshot of compensation by gender, rank – chief & chair (PDF)
Download all the graphics in one PDF.
School of Medicine Studies and Reports
Examine reports from other schools of medicine to understand study methodologies, variables used, study approach, and recommendations.
- Medical College of Wisconsin Compensation & Productivity Benchmarking Methodology (PDF) (2018)
- Yale Annual Regression Model (PDF) (2018)
- University of Colorado Denver “Supporting Gender Equity: Faculty Focus Group Results (PDF) (2017)
Salary Data Dashboards
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 5 hàng tuầnReview these dashboards to consider new ways of displaying data for individual faculty members, leaders to track their faculty information, or better monitor from an institutional perspective.
- MCW Department Chair Placemat (PDF)
- MCW Individual Faculty Compensation and Productivity Assessment (PDF)
- MCW Department Scorecard (PDF)
- UFL College of Medicine Compensation Plan Analysis (PDF)
- Yale School of Medicine Individual Compensation Benchmarking Statement (PDF)
Compensation Philosophies and Policies
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 5 hàng tuầnUse these sample philosophies and policies to consider developing your own statements or policies to better inform faculty about your institutions goals regarding compensation.
- Yale School of Medicine Compensation Philosophy and Principles (PDF)
- MCW Compensation Philosophy (PDF) and Overview (PDF) (2014)
- MCW Compensation Corporate Policies and Procedures (PDF) (2018)
- and (2018)
Higher Education and Industry Reports
Compare methods used both in higher education and other industries to gain additional perspectives and context for salary equity studies to inform your overall strategy.
- CUPA-HR (2017)
- – (free download with free registration)
- (Education Advisory Board) Report (2012)
Various physician organizations produce regular reports examining the current state of physician compensation by specialty. These studies cover physicians broadly and can be used as additional context in examining the salaries of clinical MD faculty.
- and (free, requires site account registration)
- (full report available for purchase)
Explore these online tools to view data trends and formulate your own strategy around salary equity including communications, implementation ideas, and pledges of support.
- (membership required)
- (purchase required)
- (membership required)
Review existing research that examines faculty salaries across academic medicine to support design of local efforts to study salary equity, particularly as a part of developing a larger strategy to address gender equity.
- Promising Practices for Understanding and Addressing Salary Equity at U.S. Medical Schools: Literature Review (PDF)
Faculty Salary Survey
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 5 hàng tuầnThe FSS publication and online tables are available for purchase which include 33 tables that display total compensation in a variety of ways, such as by degree, rank, department/specialty, region, and school ownership.
GWIMS Salary Equity Toolkit
Explore the GWIMS Toolkit chapter on salary equity. Contents of the toolkit are focused on the individual faculty member and includes salary elements, determining your market value, negotiating for salary, and an introduction to advancing equity at your local institution.